How to Successfully Have Effective Networking Events in 10 Simple steps!
Download, Listen to the Full Networking Events Best Practice Audio, and Subscribe to Our Podcast on Soundcloud and iTunes Below:
Well we were supposed to segway into how to be a success at a business networking event even if its your first time ever. But we got side tracked into sharing our findings on the New Pinterest Algorithm Changes affecting your blog traffic. If you haven’t yet read that post go read it now!
So, ever attended a Business or Networking Event or Trade Show and got so tongue tied, you ended up walking around looking busy or sat in a corner sipping bad coffee?
I have been there done that and today I share with you 10 Tips on what you can do at any networking event to connect with more people, effectively network better and build some initial rapport, stand out for all the right reasons, and be remembered. We learnt these in an Online Leadership Mastermind and felt that more Online, Network Marketers, Home Business Entrepreneurs and Dynamic Corporate workers need to know them too!
So without further ado Below are our 10 Steps to Effective Networking at an Event:
One thing you need to remember right at the onset is:
- You can never please all the people all the time. You are only looking to connect with and impress upon a target few that you have value to offer and they may need that value! You are not there to impress or people please, rather to build the impression that they definitely want to connect with you! And here below is more practical guidance on how to do this…
- Set Goals for the Business event. What do you hope to achieve from it, what do you wish to accomplish and come out of the experience with: Seven warm connections, new friends, someone you can refer business to? Be clear. Set your plan and work the plan, be flexible as anything could happen and keep an open mind. By the way as per Ray Higdon training, I no longer take Business Cards to events. I am there to collect them! And I’ve learnt the suave Higdon way of ensuring I get the card without looking like an irresponsible dork for not bringing any!
- Learn about the community you are meeting prior to event and Target Your Audience appropriately. Research and find out about them on websites, blogs and through others that may know about them, or are members of the group.
- Find out about the Networking event Guest List. And see if attendees are potential target market or collaborators in a Joint Venture. When you know more about the some specific people that will attend and who you want to meet, do your homework and find out about them. Company, awards, community activity, accomplishments. This is great fodder for conversation. How would you feel when someone you didn’t know, approaches you and says, “I loved the blog post you wrote on how to be Open to Receive abundance”? It certainly says something to me about them. And when you arrive at the event….
- Pair up With a Mentor at the Start of he Networking event or trip, but don’t be glued to their side, remember you are there to make new connections. Find someone who knows the crowd and group and ask them to introduce you to a few influencers, movers and shakers, and potential clients/collaborators at the event. Coming with someone others know and respect says sends a good message to others about you. “You are judged by the company you keep,” is true for most.
- Scan the room and spot a group of people at business networking events that are not necessarily chatting with each other. Join them and focus on a specific person. Start a conversation intro yourself, what you do and ask about them! LISTEN to their response to learn whether you can enrich their lives in anyway. In your intro you will use that opportunity to use your “Elevator Pitch.” Learn what that is and how to craft yours in our post here. In this way you very briefly: Share Your Passion, Authenticity, And a Story People will really connect with the authentic you. Everyone has a story. It’s the new “elevator pitch.”
Note: Never barge in on a private conversation between 2 people at a networking event. None of them will appreciate it. If someone shows no interest in you, smile and excuse yourself.
- Work the Room, Get social, Mix and mingle, and try to have several warm interactions. Don’t monopolize or be monopolized. Engage and encourage mutual conversation and include others into it.
- Be inclusive But exclusive – you are NOT at any networking event to connect with everybody, rather with a select exclusive few. Find those few and the trick is to…See how making connections for others makes sense both at the event and after. How about making a few referrals for those select few esp. those with stands and tables with goods. You’ll be amazed at how helping out someone will get them in your favour fast. Also encouraging commonality and synergy can work with complimentary businesses. Always think WIIFT = Whats In It for Them…and then offer it!
- Asking Questions gets you the most connections. Remember if anything fails You can ask after an introduction: HCIHY (How Can I Help or Serve You?). ot what can I sell you, but how can I serve you. “Serving is the new Selling.” See most people, are there for themselves and show it, You will stand out for Offering to help…! Most people will be eager to give your their details in lieu of that help and service. They will also remember you when you…FOLLOW up 24-48 hrs after the event. This is one of the best Networking Tips, it is the new benchmark for networking. When people know you are in it for the right reasons and motives, the relationship naturally grows. Remember that Building trust, takes time so why not freely share knowledge expertise where its appropriate of course. Be you, Invest time and commit to it with people you feel good potential with and demonstrate a mutuality with….And Drum roll please…
- YES Follow Up & Do so promptly, purposefully after networking events. You are sorting and sieving now, the serious potential partners or customers from time wasters. You are reconnecting and rewarming those connections you made at the event. Offer to meet up for a cuppa or a bite. If not in same location, simply get to business and ask more deeply how you can specifically serve them? Offer a resource that may be of help to them. Schedule an online meeting via a hangout or Skype. Exchange social media profiles if they are open and find out if they are open to new opportunities. You could suggest a guest blog opp, mentoring, exchange referrals, collaboration, link swap etc. These are just a few examples to share when you reach out and Follow up.
And now because we love to over deliver, Below are…………
5 Things to Never ever Do at a Networking Event in Video Below & Share with Friends.
Networking Events Quick Recap:
More longer term and big ticket Relationships take time, effort and commitment. Some grow, some bounce but you won’t know which until you take action. Networking is a natural extension of all our interactions and communications today.
Always make it about them! Seek out just a few people that you want to connect with. Networking events are not about how many cards you collect. You’re goal is to connect with & start one or two meaningful relationships, that’s it. You do this best by asking “How can I help you grow your business”? “Who is a good referral for you”? Invite them for a Cuppa or a bite, send a handwritten thank you note for their time. Send them a few quality referrals if you can. Guess what? They will reciprocate sooner or later, & if not, you just did a random act of kindness, you will receive a reward Its the Law of Reciprocation. Networking isn’t difficult but it does take practice to reap the benefits. Come from a place of service first. Try it.
People will buy from you once they get to know, like and trust you. And likewise you’ll develop some amazing relationships as you connect with people who you get to know, like & trust & you will buy from too! We are pretty much networking all the time now aren’t we? What are some of the successful ways you have used in your networking?
If you do happen to Love this post on how to have massive success at a networking event; and our tutorials, do share with others & let us know in a comment below. We love knowing who’s loving our content the most and sharing with others. So feel free to share, like our posts, use the social share buttons either side or simply highlight a text and share away esp. on Facebook…
Want to know a secret? I plan to add more to this Networking Events best practice post as its coming to summer time and events galore. So do bookmark, Pin it and check back for more Tips to be added!
By the way, if you’re not already one of our blog subscribers, Click Here to Subscribe to Our Blog… and as a bonus you’ll get a copy of our $147 Ultimate Pinterest Roadmap course absolutely FREE!
And if you’re not already connected with and following us on these sites here’s how you can change that…
You do deserve more
Live Learn Love
Julie Syl Kalungi
Follow me: Syl_JuleKalungi on Periscope
Considering Coaching? Check out our Work with us tab and Survey where we Help People Everyday.
P.S: IF YOU DON’T HAVE A LIST OR YOU HAVE A NON RESPONSIVE LIST, AND HAVEN’T MADE MORE THAN 10 SALES OR RECRUITED ANYONE YET, YOU NEED THIS – LIST BUILDING AND CONVERSION COURSE!
NETWORK MARKETING PROSPECTING 101 – DOES ONE SIZE FIT ALL – THE DIFFERENT AGE GROUPS AND HOW TO PRESENT YOUR BUSINESS TO ONE OF THEM. LESSON 2
Download the network marketing prospecting 101 Podcast and don’t forget to subscribe to our iTunes below:
Okay ladies and gentlemen this has to be handled. Its getting out of hand…
Yes you know you are doing it, she is doing it, he is doing it, we used to do it…So whats is this prodigal sin? Prospecting everyone the same way! Your age mates, your aunt May at 70yrs, your cousin’s friend she is 21. Hey One size doesn’t fit all, it never has and never will.
See if you are promoting a health and fitness product this post is pretty apt for you so pay attention. There is a tendency for us to approach people the way we have been taught by our uplines right! But what we are about to share with you are the very tips we do teach our team on .
So do you or have you gone out there and created your Avatar? If you haven’t yet gone thru this exercise for your business please, please STOP RIGHT HERE…go and get it done, you can use our Free Template and Blueprint!
So without further ado…
Network Marketing Prospecting 101
We have at least 3 Essential Ingredients aka age groups we target depending on the product! First you want to learn who they are so you can then prospect them properly
In this post we are going to only look at the Millennials and for our team members, there is a full ppt on the details of the other Two personas and how to approach them. Really awesome sauce. But for each and all these groups you gotta:
a) create that avatar
b) Approach them right
So Lets tackle the…
Network Marketing Prospecting – Millennials:
These are people born between 1981 -2000 more or less brought up by the baby boomers. They love the fact that they are digital “experts and don’t respond well to negative feedback. They are quite a substantial number over 20 billion globally.
They are quite adventurous and live for now not tomorrow….or so they like to think!
They are multitaskers, which is not a great positive in network marketing, but is apparently great in the corporate world.Go figure! They are looking for a lifestyle balance.
They are focused on meaningful work and prefer authentic experiences…
So how do you tie this up in your business presentation? We couldn’t possibly answer this Qn without knowing what you promote. We have given you some juicy info to get back to your Avatar and create and attract your ideal client. If this is your target market get to work buddy!
Network Marketing Prospecting – Characteristics of Millennials:
Millennials so live with purpose, participatory. They live in the now. They are multi takers and are digital communicators. They have given the baby boomers a new lease. Online and live life with digital media. In that light they like to make decisions based on their friends recommendations. They literally crave change. They want it…So if you present your business the right way and touch a pain point, they will jump in with both feet. Keep these general bits in mind in your network marketing prospecting!
Millennials are tenacious and this tenacity could go either way depending on your posture.
They like interactive communication. They like to participate in the conversation, they are always on social media and digital stuff doesn’t faze them. They maintain huge connections on social media. The kind of people who have maxed out their Facebook Friends list! They like to maintain relationships. They look for their peers online with new ideas, opportunities and products. This makes them a powerful business force.
Millennials worry most about relationships! Marriage, friends, Divorce, children etc! These are their pain points or soft spots!
NOTE: Always remember these are general observations in your network marketing prospecting! This age group may be different in specific people remember we said one size doesn’t fit all! So let us ask you a question….
Are you really doing your business? Are you showing your presentation every blessed week? You need good people in your team and the best way to do so is to Step up and Be accountable to You. You have to want it and crave success, Why do you want it…And maybe you need to find some accountability partners and get some traction. In our podcast above we talk about Go for PDA….find out what that means by tuning in if you haven’t yet! You can download for easier listening later on .
And we’d like to also ask you…
What are those things you love to do? Do them with the people you love and live your life living. You deserve to do them often…! So communicate with your audience in the right way so that you can attract the right people, show them how you do it and you all make some money. The size doesn’t fit all for sure in network marketing prospecting.
Network Marketing Prospecting- Measure Your Results:
There is no “one size fits all” solution in network marketing prospecting. Always test, innovate, and develop new strategies to keep your sales growing and your prospects hungry by keeping yourself accountable to filling your funnel and approaching them the right way.
Turn your network marketing prospecting into a well-oiled machine. Your bank balance will thank you for increased productivity, size and efficiency. And here is the cherry on the muffin; prospects will want to do business with you.
Be sure to TWEET THIS now, Appreciate it!
Are we missing something about the case study we shared with you today? What are your special tips on network marketing prospecting? If you got value from this post do like, share and drop your insights below…you know you want to. And share on Facebook too…
Okay ladies and gentlemen: IF YOUR UPLINE DOES NOT HAVE A STEP-BY-STEP BLUEPRINT FOR ONLINE MARKETING SUCCESS, CHECK THIS RESOURCE OUT FOR INSTANT ACCESS; AND START GENERATING LEADS And SALES DAILY (UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE TOO MANY LEADS).
You know you deserve more
Julie Syl & Pauli
Considering Coaching? Check out our Work with Us Tab and Survey where we Help People Everyday.
PS: IF YOUR PLANNING TO TRAVEL THIS SEASON YOU MIGHT LIKE TO (UNLESS YOU LOVE PAYING RETAIL INSTEAD WHOLESALE).
SEARCH FOR A TOPIC
Like Us On Facebook
What Others Say about Us:
Your Shopping Cart
Visit The Shop